Wednesday, November 25, 2009

thankful. for my dad.

today is my father's 61st birthday. I'm sure he would cringe knowing that I just wrote that (and will be sharing it with the "world"). regardless, it reminds me to take a moment to be thankful for EVERYTHING he has been for me and continues to be to this day.

my dad was born on turkey day '48 and as my grandma says, "he has been a turkey every since." yes, from day one my dad has drummed to his own beat, forging an unique path despite admonishments from many around him.

none of these words stopped him however (for better or worse) and today he has much success to look back on. a 30 year-plus photography business, wonderful friends, caring family, three lovely children (if I don't say so myself!), health, happiness and many, many years of greatness ahead of him.


my dad & I at my first race

my point? to applaud my dad. and say thanks to him for giving me the greatest gift so many years ago. many of my close friends know this, but my father is the one who introduced me to running when I was just 8 years old. a tiny beanpole, I immediately took to it and was soon hooked. it is this sport that has me sitting here penning this post.

running helped me see something good in the world when I sunk into a deep depression in middle school. running gave me confidence when I was the late bloomer in high school. running provided me with a grounding when I entered college. running taught me to be tough when life soured in my early 20's. running inspired me to strive for bigger things when I was looking for my next journey. running gave me a community when I returned to new york. running offered me freedom whenever I needed a break from the "real world." running helped me through the many hell days of my MA. running allowed me to become an IRONMAN! running has made me the individual I am today.

so thank you daddy. thank you for the gift you gave me and thank you for you. I love you. xox beans

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post. My dad too has given me many things to be thankful for over the years.

Enjoy your holiday E!

Michele said...

sniff!!!!

Kym Klass said...

I love this for you and for your dad! My dad and I had a great running relationship. Didn't start running until I was 11 or 12, but I started with him and it provided such great memories.